Saturday, August 27, 2005

I swear (or affirm)

I (state your name) am now an official Peace Corps Volunteer. The swearing in ceremony last Saturday was pretty impressive. The US ambassador and the President N. Enkhbayar both gave speeches and all the host families were there to say goodbye to their trainees. People from each training site got to perform traditional Mongolian songs, dances, and poems. The audience couldn't believe that we'd only been in the country for three monthes. It was great to see everyone in all in dels or Mongol shirts and the host families really enjoyed it.

I've been at work in Tsetserleg for a almost a week now. I had heard from other business volunteers that you spend the first 3 months reading and getting familiar with the operation and I thinkthey were right. Right now my Rural Agro-Business Support (RASP) office works with about 12 businesses in Tsetserleg and in nearby soums (towns). I've been reading their business plans and in a couple of weeks I get to travel to the soums to help with trainings. Tsetserleg is nice and there are a lot of foreign tourists passing through. I'm not sure how many I'll see in winter though. I'm still getting settled in my apartment and figuring out where things are. I want to go hiking and check out the mountains also.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratuations on being a full peace corps volunteer. You look great and I admire what you're doing. You really make us proud. Mom and Dad

Janetkin said...

Ritchie - what a great achievement. I can't wait for your next entry. This is a great way to hear what you're up to - keep writing. Janet

Alex said...

I want to know how you managed to snag the green outfit. Seriously - did you tell the people you were Irish?