Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Tsagaan Sar 2007

Last week was Tsagaan Sar, the Mongolian Lunar New Year celebration, and I got to go back to my host site in Hotol. Tasagaan Sar = (Thanksgiving + pub crawl) x 3. I spent the three days of the actual holiday in Arkhangai and visited Nasaa and her relatives. Compared to my friends who are English teachers, I had it pretty easy. I only visited a couple houses each day and didn't have to drink too much. As you can see from the pictures I had a deel made for Tsagaan Sar and got to where is to Hotol also. It's something nice I can take home. I may have another one made to bring to my brother's wedding in May.

In order to go to Hotol, I had to take the bus to UB and then a train. I made the whole trip in 20 hours and that's because the train trip itself took seven hours. I passed the time by reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It's over 1,000 pages long, but was recommended by a friend. I can't really tell you what it's about except that by page 300 it involves tennis, French Canadian Separatism, and drug and alcohol rehab. I made it into town at 4:30 am and went right to bed. The next day two friends, Curtis and Danny, who also trained in Hotol drove in from Erdenet. We visited each other's houses and had some left over buuz. We also got to see our language teacher Undraa. A lot of people from the town remembered us and it was good to see the place again. It looked a lot different than in summer.

In other news, the business book is finished and will be distributed to the new volunteers at PDM next week. Based on their feedback, the book will be revised and handed out at the M18 training this summer. Hopefully we get to go in and help out. I am also starting work on a new version of the catalog. There are a lot of new businesses that want to take part, so we should have plenty of good stuff to choose from. That's all for now.

No comments: