Monday, November 14, 2005

I don’t do windows

I had dinner at my tutor’s house with one of my sitemates last night. Otgoo, my tutor, brought some fish from her family’s house by Lake Hovsguul. Being in a landlocked country, I haven’t had fish in a long time. It was good, but the highlight of the evening was getting to watch cable TV. They have a few random English programs like this channel called NOW which just has weird shows about racing and video games. Then there is the German channel that does Deutschcentric news in English once a day. I am always surprised to see what American things they choose to dub into Mongolian. I watched, in a ger with a bunch of herders, the movie Wonderland with Val Kilmer as John Holmes. That was helpful. I was not sure how "wad" translated before.

Oh, you are wondering about the headline. Over here, all the apartments have two sets of windows and you have to seal them well or else you will lose all your heat. I tried before, but after a lot of banging and caulking (hee hee) there was still a draft. So, Otgoo said she would send some of her students over to help me. Apparently, that is normal here. So today three teenage girls come over, I give them a bucket (to clean the windows) and some duck tape, and they went to work. Luckily, I got two rolls in the mail, because they used it all. Now all the windows are sealed and it is a stable 67 degrees. I might have to break out the space heater later though.

I have plenty of warm clothes to wear on my trip next week. I (actually my mom) bought four pairs of long underwear of varying weights before I left. They go from silk to fleece, but I only wear the silk ones when I’m alone. They make me feel sexy. What? Oh well, I think I will post a bunch of galleries when I am in UB and the internet is faster. Expect more from there next week.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Deutschcentric?

Anonymous said...

The fact that the silk long underwear makes you feel sexy is way more than I needed to know.