Thursday, June 28, 2007

Time enough at last

The power was off all this week so me and Nasaa decided to go to the countryside (in Mongolian-hodoo) to visit some of her family. I haven't been out to the hodoo for a while, so I was looking forward to relaxing and doing some reading. I managed to finish one book, How to Lose Friends & Alienate People by Toby Young, before we managed to find a driver. Mind you, I'm no speed reader. It took us three days. We eventually found a driver who would take us out with just one other woman. That was a good start, because drivers usually try to fill their cars beyond the recommended capacity. Picture a clown car and add a sheep and three bottles of vodka.

We were to visit three families, all relations of Nasaa's mother. My ideas about reading quietly were put to rest when we got to the first camp. Everyone was excited to see Nasaa and almost as excited to see a foreigner. I was never really alone, but I wasn't disappointed either. My only other hodoo trips have been with work when there's always some kind of training going on. Now I also realize that the clients we visit must be well off. They can afford luxuries like bread, sugar and, vegetables. Those trips were also in the winter when it gets dark really early and you can't do much outside. On this trip I got to go horseback riding, try on an assortment of deels, and even herd some animals. Seriously. Take a look at the pictures.

On the last night two of the families came over for some group pictures. Everyone got dressed up in their best deels and I got to play photographer aka foreigner with a camera. Mongolians are crazy about pictures, overfilling albums and putting special shots up in their gers. The only place you can get good prints made now is in UB, so they were all anxious to know when my next trip was. I thought it wasn't going to be until after Naadam, but I just decided to go in tomorrow. I'm not staying in town this time. No, I'm headed northwest to Erdenet for the first annual, and hopefully not to be known as memorial, Selenge River inner tube trip. The plan is to start off north of the city and see how far we get. I'm betting on being out for three days, but who knows. That should be the next thing I (or my executor) blogs about, so check back for updates and pictures.

1 comment:

Janetkin said...

Great entry - what a great way to spend a week without electricity. You look great in the Mongolia gear. Great photos too.