Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sweet Sorrow

Well this is it folks, my last post from Mongolia. I've been busy this past month showing my dad around the country, helping out with the training of new volunteers, and finishing up my close of service paperwork.

My dad was here for 12 days and got some really good stuff. We visited several monasteries and got to see some real countryside life. Check out this gallery and his website to see some shots from his trip. I was a little nervous about showing him around, but everything worked out great. I arranged two cars for our road trips and was able to talk my way into some cool places. I think he was impressed by the hospitality of the Mongolians...if not by their cuisine. He also got to meet a lot of my friends who were leaving the same week he arrived. All in all we traveled around 1600 km in 10 days, about half of which was on unpaved roads. Definitely check out his site and keep checking for updates to the Mongolia portfolio.

Soon after my dad left I traveled up to Sukhbaatar soum in Selenge aimag near the Russian border to help with the M18 business volunteer's final project. They did a business seminar similar to the one we did our first summer in the country. I was able to give them some useful tips on their presentations and the seminar went well.

After leaving Sukhbaatar, I went back to Arkhangai for my last week at site. I thought it would be painful, but I didn't know the half of it. I somehow caught viral tonsillitis that lasted 7 days. I couldn't really eat or drink anything all week. I did manage to lose a few pounds, so it wasn't all bad. There were some going away parties, but all my packing and crying was confined to my last night there. Saying goodbye to Nasaa was the hardest part and I had to do it all over again on the phone a little while ago. I'm not sure if we'll see each other again, but being with her was a great experience. Parting is such...

Writing this blog over the past 27 months has been an experience in itself. I hope it's been as enjoyable for you read as it was to write. I always enjoyed reading your comments and emails of support, but honestly I'd have kept it up even if I knew no one was reading it except my mom...hi mom. Once I get home I plan to turn the blog into a book using software from Blurb. I'll post some late updates once I get home too. I have a one night layover in Beijing and I'll be home the night of the 21st after being away from the states for 27 months. As for right now, I am so happy that I am alive, in one piece and short.

2 comments:

Janetkin said...

Great links - Loved Romeo and Juliet and Full Metal Jacket - love the goodbye party photos too. Can't wait to see you on Tuesday.

Alex said...

you are born again hard