Sunday, January 13, 2008

August and Everything After

Greetings from our nation’s capital. Since my last post from Mongolia, a lot has changed. I’m not writing from Mongolia anymore, obviously. After getting back to Florida, I spent about two weeks at my parent’s house in Florida. I got to go diving with my dad and practice driving with my mom again. I missed driving more and I’m kind of spoiled by public transportation. Not that there’s much mass transit going on in Florida. I moved up to Washington, DC in the middle of September. I slept on My friend Aaron’s floor for a couple weeks while I looked for jobs and an apartment. Surprisingly, Craig’s List is useful for more than just casual encounters and I found a place pretty easily. I share a two bedroom in a cool neighborhood close to the metro and some friends who also moved back to DC. The place is also crawling with returned Peace Corps volunteers looking for work in development. That makes the job hunt pretty competitive, but there are a lot of job fairs and other resources to make it easier. For what I want to do, I wouldn’t live anywhere else. I’ve had a lot more job interviews this year and I should have something permanent soon. Getting temp work with non-profits helps me stay in that world and make new connections.

This will be the official last post of my blog. I know I’ve been talking about this for a while, but the blog will soon be turned into a book. My brother was kind, and patient, enough to do the heavy lifting and now I have to send him the final edits. If you’re reading the book, thanks for making it this far. Or, if you just flipped to the back to see who did it, bad mystery reader. Bad. It makes more sense if you begin at the beginning. Thanks again for coming with me on this journey. Enjoy the book and if you think you’re doing something important, tell the world about it. You never know who’ll listen.

Peace Out,
John “Steel” Kinsella

No comments: